View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
OrangePower
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_R_B View Post
Two comments about this. First, this is a competitive match. If it were a social match with friends who happened to be a lot better/worse than you, then, OK, you should probably hold back, but we're talking about a league match between presumably relatively evenly matched opponents and one who specifically said she uses that strategy to get a psychological edge. Second, she's standing right behind the baseline of here own volition. If you're playing Sam Querrey for whatever reason and you stand 3 feet behind the service line to return his serve and end up getting nailed a couple times, I'm sorry, that's your fault.
Sam Querrey could probably peg me at will even if I'm standing 5 ft behind the baseline. The incongruity here would be the notion of me being in a "competitive" match against him.

Mixed introduces an inherent contradiction between the bolded bits in your response. It purports to be competitive, but then puts together people on the court who are NOT evenly matched. Do you really think a 3.5 woman is "relatively evenly matched" with a 4.5 man? Really? But yet this is a common pairing in 8.0 mixed.
OrangePower is offline   Reply With Quote