View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #26
Povl Carstensen
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by corners View Post
If a tennis player is sufficiently skilled at spinning the ball he or she also has no distance constraints. Spin takes hitting long out of the equation and allows a player to swing as fast as possible, and presumably to accelerate after contact, although I don't know if this is done.

I remember reading in Steve Tignor's book on the Borg Mac rivalry that Mac was taught by [Palifax I think] to decelerate this racquet into contact, which might account for the peculiar appearance of this strokes.

I also remember reading that Martina N.'s serve stroke reached maximum acceleration just after ball impact, but I don't remember where I read that and don't even know quite what means.
I think it is true that it is the ratio between spin and speed that defines the control of the length. (Of course also how high you hit the ball, but that is not the subject here). So I would say Julian is wrong about this.
And yes Mac looks like a good example of someone who does not accelerate a whole lot through the strike zone. Somewhat pushy, but a genius none the less.

Last edited by Povl Carstensen : 01-22-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Povl Carstensen is offline   Reply With Quote