View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #44
Wilander Fan
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange614 View Post
I think that Mac, Edberg, and Lendl could punish returns because serves weren't as big and had less spin. The Balls Fed (and all the other players are seeing) are faster and move much up and down and side to side.

I think the 1hbh return is tricky because you have to get completely turned with the right shoulder in front and you need to '****' your wrist back to hit a bigger backhand return with 1hbh as opposed to 2hbh where the right and left wrist can stay firm. The serves are coming so fast there is not enough time to do either of the things above that are necessary to punish a 1hbh. While the 3 guys above didn't '****' the wrist back like players today they could at least get turned and have their right shoulder in front.
I think serves were actually bigger back then. The indoor courts looked like they were made of hard slick rubber and the hard courts were basically paint. 50% first serve % was considered OK since you won every one of those points. Now you see 70% and even 80% as the balls are spinning in.
Wilander Fan is offline   Reply With Quote