View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #52
mariecon
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sams View Post
Federer should've given Berdych due credit....just for the sake of sportsmanship. Sometimes it's how you lose that counts more than how you win.
If you read his press conference you will notice that the questions were mostly directed at him such as:

Q. Difficult moment, but what couldn't you do that you wanted to do? What let you down?

ROGER FEDERER: Uhm, well, I mean, I don't think I played poorly. But, uhm, I think he went after it. I mean, I know Berdych. I think I've played him 10 times already before. That's the way he plays, you know.

I think he's been able to play more consistent last year or so, and I was just not able to defend well enough and I didn't come up with the good stuff when I had to. So it was disappointing, you know. Yeah.

and

Q. Obviously he's going to come at you. Did you feel like you were as aggressive as you wanted to be in the match? You had some chances in the fourth set, Love?40 on his serve.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, his mistakes and my mistakes. You know, he played well when he had to. It was brutal for me. Every time he had a chance, he took it. On the breakpoints, he played great on those.

Then when I had chances early on, I was actually not too bad. I just felt like I got the unlucky bounce once in a while, you know. 30?All he got it on the line over and over again. I just felt like I couldn't create enough chances to really get the breakthrough.

When I did have chances, I played poorly. It was just a frustrating match the way it all went.

I don't see how this is considered poor sportsmanship. He answered the questions posed to him and gave Berdych credit for outplaying him. Blown way out of proportion. If the media had asked him how he thought Berdych had played I'm sure he would have said he played well. Every question was about how he (Federer) had played. Typical case of the media fishing for something to write about.

Anyway, this is all Off Topic so that's all I'll say.
mariecon is offline   Reply With Quote