View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #2371
ARFED
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
Sometimes I tend to be too careful but you're probably right.

You know what it is, every World Champion seems to be called the GOAT and after their careers are over the opinions often change. Laver was called the GOAT. Connors was called the GOAT. Borg was called the GOAT. Gonzalez was called the GOAT. Nadal has been called the GOAT. Federer has been called the GOAT. Sampras has been called the GOAT. Some thought Wilander has a shot to be the GOAT at one point. There are some many GOATs that I think some tennis officials should be sheep herders. lol. So I guess sometimes I like to wait until later in the player's career to look at the results. I may have been too careful with Nadal.

Frankly I think Nadal is one of the few who can be the potential GOAT in the future. That's how highly I view him.
Hey we all make mistakes .
Even though i am a huge Fed fan, i give full credite to Nadal. I dislike his tennis style, too much one dimensional for my taste, altough i consider it highly effective. But i admire his heart and determination and imho he has the most devastating weapon in tennis history (alongside Sampras`s first and second serve), his forehand on clay. It`s just brutal. I am from Argentina and clay court tennis is pretty much a religion , at least for the tennis fans around here. I watch him play live only once in my life and that was back in 2005 in the Buenos Aires ATP 250. He was just 18 yo and he played against Gaudio. I was in awe watching this kid play (he was just whipping the floor with Gaudio, the reigning RG champion at the time), when he hitted a crosscourt forehand to Gaudio`s backhand, the ball had such amount of spin that it kicked up so high that Gaudio found himself hitting a backhand smash from 4 or 5 meters behind the baseline. That was scary, believe me. I will never forget Gaudio`s reaction, "What the f..... was that??" he said to his support group who were just a couple of seats in front of me. The only player i can imagine doing something similar, provided that he has poly strings, is Bruguera. You just simply DO NOT DEFEAT a player with a weapon like that on clay.
ARFED is offline   Reply With Quote