View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #106
dak95_00
Professional

57 seconds isn't horrible either. I bet you guys can't run that fast. Realize that keeping that up four times would be a sub-4 minute mile. If he ran 90 second 400s, he'd run a 18:39 5k. I'm letting him run at nearly 1/2 of his all out 400 speed and he could do that! Sub 20 minutes is a sure bet if he had to do it.

As stated, these guys are built for endurance and not speed. That is why I believe they could run a 5k in under 20 minutes easily.

Body type? Are you guys serious? Have you ever been to a 5k, 10k, or a marathon? Have you seen the weekend warrior runners? There are plenty of sub-20 minute 5ks from plenty of non-looking runner types and certainly not elite athletes.

I've seen tall, short, fat, skinny, young, old, odd strides, perfect strides, and they all have one thing in common.....DESIRE. Running is more about desire than anything else. It is about toughness and guts. It's about wanting to beat the next guy in front of you and not getting passed by the ones behind you. DESIRE! We aren't talking about breaking the record which is roughly 12 minutes and 26 seconds. We're talking about going out and running 1 minute and 35 second 400s. Very doable.

Seriously.....Who says 57 seconds isn't fast? I just looked up the local track honor roll for high school from a quick Internet search. 49.97 seconds got you on it and I can tell you that a kid who attended the high school I teach at was on there at 49.64 seconds and he is running for Ohio State on scholarship. These were the best times in the area throughout the track season. In case you want to bash Ohio State's team, keep in mind they have a tradition of excellent runners such as Butch Reynolds or Jessie Owens. I'd like to see a lot of guys go out and time/video themselves trying to run sub 1 minute 400s. It's not going to happen! Yes. There are many good athletes who can do it but it's not for the average guy either.

Next, we'll all be posting how we hit 120mph serves and how it is easy to do. I'm not doing that search as I'm sure the thread is here somewhere.