View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 05:42 AM   #19
goober
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshs View Post
You want to hear a story? My pro shop guy offers stringing. So does a guy affiliated with a nearby club, who is a stringer at pro tourneys, and also a teaching pro. So there is competition between them for customers.

A teenage kid is hired to work part-time at the pro shop. He also happens to take lessons from the stringer/pro at the club. The pro learns about his job, and stops the lessons, telling the teenager: "Your employer is snatching food from the mouths of my kids." The teenager leaves in a state of shock.

I used the pro/stringer once, but don't plan to go to him again. The reason I used him is also a story by itself. I am hitting with somebody when a junior tournament is in progress on the other courts. This guy had set up a mobile stringing van in the parking lot. As I finish and walk to my car, he calls me and says I play very smoothly. Then he asks me about the strings I use (Shockshield) and the number of frames I have (2). He gives me his card, then asks me where I live. I tell him.

A couple of weeks later, a neighbor catches me in the parking lot. He says that guy is his stringer and he had complained to him that I ordered the guy to buy 2 packs of Shockshield and I would be bringing my frames over, but never showed up! Finally I decided to use him once to make my neighbor happy.

You know some pyscho tennis people. Yah I bought my own stringer, so I am sure I am taking food from the mouths of a bunch kids I also got about half my team into stringing their own racquets once they saw how easy it was and how much money it saved. Sorry about the Happy meals kids. Looks like ramen noodles tonight!
goober is offline   Reply With Quote