View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
Soianka
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcbtennis View Post
I think that at the age of 31 it is difficult for her to recover physically while playing everyday (singles and doubles). The day before the match Venus and Serena lost in a third set against Errani and Vinci. It was a long match and Serena looked pooped then and didn't appear to move well because of her ankle. And then she went out the next day against Sloane who turned out to be a tough competitor after a poor showing in the first set. Since she had back spasms that seemed to respond to treatment I don't think it was a mental breakdown. I think it was a physical breakdown. At her age playing everyday (Sharapova and Azarenka aren't playing doubles) and then running against an opponent who wouldn't back down is what did her in.
ITA. Serena should not have played doubles after she injured her ankle in the 1st round.

I suppose her logic is: 1. Wanting to solidify herself in history with the doubles GS titles and help Venus.

2. The doubles is also good practice.

But now that she is an older player, probably best not to push it on an injured ankle.
Soianka is offline   Reply With Quote