View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevelDevil View Post
When I had a 2hbh, the biggest source of discomfort and feeling of restriction came from me not shifting my weight enough before the forward swing. So if you end up sticking with the 2hbh, make sure you're stepping in at the start of your forward swing.

Yes, Weight transfer was always an issue. My stroke never felt weight or solid like it does on the one hander especially when I catch the ball early enough and hit a low drive. I step in pretty well, but I definitely need to turn my body more and give more thought to follow through.

Quote:
What kind of grip do you use? Where is the index base knuckle, and where is your heel pad?

I use an eastern backhand grip with my hand pretty low on the grip. Maybe a half inch or less of my hand hangs off the bottom of the racquet.

Quote:
I think Wawrinka and Henin are good models, especially for a 5'9" person who wants to hit high balls better.
Yeah, I was watching the Henin backhand earlier and I can really see the supination in her forearm a lot more prominently than I can others. I've noticed that the supination really starts occurring right around contact but on a lot of pictures I'm seeing of pros at ball contact the racquet face seems to be more tilted down than flat.

Quote:
In any case, if you're worried about dealing with spin or moonballs, I recommend a strong grip, an early straight arm, and opening up the chest, and using the aforementioned models.
Taking the ball as early as I can on this stroke seems key for dealing with spin. But a lot of times I do just let it bounce as I back up and let it enter the strike zone. I don't like that method as I'm giving up valuable court position, but dealing with the ball on the rise on the backhand side is not really something I'm used to yet.
1980 is offline   Reply With Quote