View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #40
ChadW
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSF2012 View Post
To be honest, I've never seen a racquet commercial in TV. Occasionally, I'd youtube an advertisement just for kicks, mostly to see Djokovic mock Sharapova. But I don't know, but I don't think there's much marketing going on in reality. Most of it's you guys rambling on about racquet specs and how "plush" a certain frame is.

Personally, I think it's you guys that do the real marketing.
There's plenty of marketing going on directed specifically at the tennis-playing community (during aired tournaments, or constantly on the Tennis Channel).

But the real marketing that I was initially referring to is the blurb that exists about every racquet on it's purchase page on TW, or any other tennis equipment site. The manufacturers all brag about their newest technology (which we're supposed to believe makes a 12 month old racquet obsolete), string set up, etc. And nearly all of those (marketing) blurbs include something to this effect: this racquet is the perfect blend of power and control.

Well, that blend is such a wide spectrum that it can't be true for every racquet, for every player.

My wish is that they'd be more clear about which racquets are control-oriented and which are power sticks. But then they'd be denying their life-blood; which, as stated earlier, is to get me to think I need to buy a new racquet all the time in order to solve problems in my game.

*rant complete*
ChadW is offline   Reply With Quote