View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #71
corbind
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisjon View Post
I coach college tennis at a D3 school called Drew University. My top 2 guys for sure could play D1 as they were both 3 star level players. That being said, for the academic level of Drew there aren't many D1 programs that would offer full or even half-scholarships that a 3 star would get. We played a team this year that had 4 former D1 starters and of the 6 courts they played on, we won 5 of them. We are a good program that goes to nationals every year, but we aren't even nationally ranked. The bottom D1 schools are usually weaker academically and athletically and may or may not even offer scholarships. If you aren't at the level of going pro or getting a full ride to a good school, I would go to the best school that fits the academic, social, athletic, geographic, and financial needs. Academics, should take highest priority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus_smith View Post
I went throught this same thing with my daughter.

Just My Opinion. Playing college tennis has some drawbacks in that it limits what schools you can attend and it is time consuming and he may end up not liking the coach or his fellow players or traveling and the scholarships are not that big. If he really likes tennis he can still play in tourneys on his own. Still college tennis could make sense if the family was hurting for money and he got a good sized tennis scholarship.

OTOH, if he can get top grades in high school he can attend a prestigious top college which will serve him well the rest of his life. Recreational tennis will always be there.

Everybody has their own needs and priorties. gl
OP kumar157, I think these gents have spoken some true words. In my life I went to college for an education and tennis was an afterthought. Although I did enjoy playing for the team, I always knew it was just a hobby with some perks.

Continue to think long and hard about why your kid is going to college and what it will reap for him decades down the road. After graduation tennis stops (at least for the college team) and it fades away as the new job, wife, house and life and other maturation events get in the way. Maybe tennis comes back in the mid-thirties after life is more stable.

Sad it would be to have committed so much time and have such determiniation to play D1, actually play D1, and upon graduation look back and realize the wrong school was chosen all for the sake of hitting a ball over a net. Sports do help kids/adults with competition and energy release. Sports are great. Heck, we fill this forum based on a sport!

College is about the other 50 hours a week and working on the mind for the future.

Last edited by corbind : 01-24-2013 at 10:14 PM.
corbind is offline   Reply With Quote