View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #452
Love Game
Talk Tennis Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winners or Errors View Post
Too many questionable premises above to debate, as it would take the thread far off topic. I'd dispute all of your definitions and interpretations if we had time to sit down and chat about it, but such debates about semantics never get anywhere...

Back on topic of the thread. Good to see Stephens take out Williams. I was sad to see her get somewhat routinely defeated by Azarenka today, but am hoping she continues to make progress.

I don't really care how Serena played. As with any tennis match, it's what you have on the day you play. Not everyone plays their best every day, and winning ugly is something players have to find a way to do if they're going to be the GWOAT.
semantics:
1 : the study of meanings:
a: the historical and psychological study and the classification of changes in the signification of words or forms viewed as factors in linguistic development.
3 b: the language used (as in advertising or political propaganda) to achieve a desired effect on an audience especially through the use of words with novel or dual meanings
.... mirriam-webster

According to the rules of logic, an argument is either valid or invalid. In my experience, those (including judges appointed for life) who must redefine the established definitions of words in order to achieve rhetorical validity are on the far left side of the political spectrum and inevitably want to change the United States Constitution to suit themselves, rather than in accordance with legal Amendment procedure.

-----

sloane stephens is "new guard" of women's tennis. both s.williams and v.azarenka used medical time outs (rather than tennis prowess) to try to throw sloane off her rhythm and "win ugly--by any means necessary." Both of their MTOs were ten minutes, rather than the three allowed by the rule book.

my feeling is that both azarenka's and williams' best tennis is behind them. stephens will only improve ... it's what's between her ears (her attitude determines her altitude) that makes the difference ... and women's tennis, itself, will be the better for it. IMHO
Love Game is offline   Reply With Quote