View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #25
pc1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalDramaQueen View Post
I dislike playing mixed doubles with my wife, but I would never tell her that.

Fortunately, our levels are too different to compete in leagues, so the issue doesn't really come up. Some casual mixed every now and then isn't too bad.

I really have much more fun either playing singles or regular doubles, and I don't see why anyone would willingly step down to the mixed league.
I couldn't agree more. The difference in mobility between me and my wife is huge. So in the match I was writing about my wife was serving to my friend who was the top college player and she was hitting sharp angled crosscourt returns that my wife couldn't reach but I knew I could reach. So I decided to move over and I hit a half volley down the line winner. My wife scolded me that it was her shot to hit. She was upset. So I figured it's better to lose the battle and win the war. Incidentally we lost.

There was another time we were playing doubles in which we were the far superior team. I decided to fool around a bit with some angled volleys that I missed. She didn't like that I did that and told me in very certain terms. I had to really concentrate in a match that I thought I could enjoy. We won every set at love.

My wife isn't a bad player but I don't play doubles with her anymore. I don't mind losing but there are inherent problems with playing with your spouse.
pc1 is offline   Reply With Quote