View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #20
nightfire700
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga tennis View Post
I like the ask for more route. My daughter just turned 11 and she has just started asking for more,but still not enough in my eyes. Its such a long ride im just gonna let what happens happen. If its meant to be it will be. Our whole problem is the enviornment. NONE of her friends in our small town play tennis just daddy and the college girls.
I think there are so many variables (known and unknown) at play in making a world class athlete that as parents we can just hope and hang in there and keep backing our kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1Coach View Post
I started my son early on aggressive training weights , running stairs , footwork ect. about 7 yrs old , I maid conditions he could understand at that age , if he wanted to play tennis and be on the court he had to train off court or he couldn't play tennis on court .
The longer you wait to build a discipline regiment the worse it is , we work out with a couple ex Orange Bowl Champions 12's who at the age of 16 and 17 decided to raise their training levels and after about 2 weeks of one of them training with us he threw in the towel the other didn't try .

I would share with him your concerns and thoughts and then challenge him to raising his level and slowly ad and aggressive workout system then ad and aggressive coach , most kid are not in condition to deal with all the demands of and aggressive coach therefore give up , therefore get him physically ready 1st .
Great advise. I think the idea is to keep improving as an athlete by mixing variety of sports and activities that the kid likes and gradually move them into more regimented training. My only confusion has been how gradual is gradual. He already gave up one sport at 7yrs (he was really good in that, beating much older kids all the time) because of the added pressure and a new aggressive coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLBwell View Post
^
At a young age, basketball, soccer, throwing and catching balls, ping pong, etc. are as good or better training for a tennis player than playing tennis.

But, you must instill good fundamentals in strokes and footwork at a young age.
Totally agree. My son loves sports and I never had to push him for that. His love for roller skating at 4.5 yrs age was spontaneous (he saw some kids training and forced me to get him in) and I just supported him but at 7 yrs when he started competing he gave up because of the added pressure and a very aggressive coach. Picked up tennis, but spends a lot of time playing soccer, cricket, running and occasional roller skates for fun. So net net he is doing more than 2 hrs of sports every day and most of it is fun play with friends with 6 hrs across 4 days for tennis.