View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #79
goran_ace
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbind View Post
OP kumar157, I think these gents have spoken some true words. In my life I went to college for an education and tennis was an afterthought. Although I did enjoy playing for the team, I always knew it was just a hobby with some perks.

Continue to think long and hard about why your kid is going to college and what it will reap for him decades down the road. After graduation tennis stops (at least for the college team) and it fades away as the new job, wife, house and life and other maturation events get in the way. Maybe tennis comes back in the mid-thirties after life is more stable.

Sad it would be to have committed so much time and have such determiniation to play D1, actually play D1, and upon graduation look back and realize the wrong school was chosen all for the sake of hitting a ball over a net. Sports do help kids/adults with competition and energy release. Sports are great. Heck, we fill this forum based on a sport!

College is about the other 50 hours a week and working on the mind for the future.
Really good post. I really like this. Although instead of a 'hobby with perks' I'd say my college tennis experience was more like having a job while your in school.

The other thing to add is that I felt like I was always injured. There is not a lot of downtime to heal, you are pressured to stay/get back on the court otherwise someone else will take your spot. Not many guys were 100% at the end of the season and we pounded advil llike it was candy.
goran_ace is offline   Reply With Quote