View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
tennis5
Professional

Per Lisa Stone - Parenting Aces -

One TD expressed the following: “The biggest problem with this scenario is not that the seeding change was made,
but that it was not communicated to the tournaments.
When a substantial procedural change occurs, it is best that all involved be informed.
While informing the player may be easier said than done, certainly notifying the directors should have been an early order of business, not an afterthought.”

He goes on to say, “I don’t see that this seeding procedure will discourage doubles play because selection to each tournament will still be done using the ‘combined’ standings and not the ‘singles seeding’ list. Being selected for a tournament is certainly more important than being a singles seed, since you can’t be seeded if you aren’t selected.”

Honestly, the biggest concern I have over this latest rule change is the lack of communication behind it.
The only way I knew about it was because I happened to be logged into Facebook when it came across my newsfeed (
by the way, the USTA JrComp Facebook page has fewer than 150 “Likes”).
Given the recent outcry by the tennis community as a whole over the behind-closed-doors methods used by USTA to create the 2014 Junior Comp schedule, you would think USTA would’ve been sensitive to the fact that a heads-up over the seeding rules changes might be important.

I am still at a loss to understand HOW or WHY USTA isn’t more communicative and open and forthcoming with its members,
especially with all the simple electronic methods at its disposal.
I keep asking the question and hope, one day soon, to be able to report the answer.