View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
Chas Tennis
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Tennis View Post
Charging: For these D cell rechargeable batteries they were removed from the ball machine and individually charged in their normal chargers designed for maybe 2 batteries. This was inconvenient especially with just one charger.
I asked the guy who installed some lithium batteries in a Tennis Tudor and here is what he had to say

"Originally it came with a small 12V lead acid. Then after that died, I replaced with 2 pairs of 4 Trustfire Lithium size 18650 from dealextreme.com that I had on hand for high performance LED flashlights that I was using for my mountain bike night lights. Lithium rechargables have a voltage through most of their discharge cycle of 3.7V with a max of 4.2 and min of about 3.2. So with my 4 in series, I had 14.8V. I also recovered 6 from my daughter’s dead laptop computer. Laptops usually use 2 pairs of 3 in series for 11.1V nominal.

Later after you had it, I bought some plastic holders to replace the copper tubes for about $2.50 each. I also bought an 18650 charger from DX. The only pain was the charger is only 2 batteries at a time. You can buy multipack chargers, but they are expensive."

Anyone pursuing should look into the safety of charging these batteries in any way not using the manufacturer's properly designed chargers.
Chas Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote