View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
TheLambsheadrep
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
Don't worry so much if your arm is 100% straight or 90%, that will depend on timing and shot you are trying to hit. Federer does not always hit with a straight arm. Most important thing is to load up the wrist and throw the racket so it brushes the ball upwards (spin) and drives it forward(pace), straight arm is a small detail you shouldn't so much worry about.

Just bend that elbow in and from there relax the arm, let it smoothly fall down and behind a bit and just throw the racket forward and up with the tension build up in the shoulder and the wrist from rotation of the torso for effortless power and spin.

Its a bit complicated to explain but once you feel that effortless groove you'll understand. A higher weight/SW racket helps.
I know you weren't talking about this, but I never knew that I hit some shots with a straight(ish) arm until I saw the footage. Now I want to know why I go between straight and bent since I am not doing it on purpose.

But you were talking about the elbow - so you want me to try to keep it closer to my body? More like the shot at 12 seconds in? I think out of the whole video that shot has my elbow tucked in the most (and it was a nice crack I must say), but I also didn't bring the racquet as far down/under the ball on the back swing, and I know from my experience that that shot has a very small margin of error. Should I be trying to do both (elbow in + still getting low/under the ball on the back swing)?

I did say that the racquet weight 383 grams (+13.5oz) and has a SW of 365, I don't think those factors need to be changed haha. Thanks for the tips, I'm still all ears

Last edited by TheLambsheadrep : 01-25-2013 at 09:11 PM.
TheLambsheadrep is offline   Reply With Quote