View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #15
Buford T Justice
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
I have to disagree on that statement particularly because of the word usage of " All others" and "hardly anyone".

In my opinion, tennis is played for:

- Recreation (like you said)
- Social status/activity
- Competitively/professionally

When I'm playing, I don't think about fitness because I know that I'm engaging in demanding physical activity. I also play competitively, so you most likely won't see me on the recreational courts unless if I'm playing a match with someone or doing volunteer work.

But in terms of fitness for the original poster? The most simple form of it is just to put on some running shoes and run a couple of kilometers in a public park a few hours a week. Better to save your money (for buying a racquet and other accessories) and your (and someone else's) time.
If one gardens, collects stamps, collects coins, paints pictures, takes photos, etc, etc or plays a sport, and doesn't earn their living doing it, they certainly should be doing it for fun! Otherwise....not sure why someone would spend so much time doing something that was not fun and that was not earning their living.

That's my only point.

If the OP wants to take up tennis to get some exercise, and finds hitting a tennis ball around for a couple of hours more enticing than running around the block, why not take the approach that is more enjoyable?

Plus, this is a tennis board and support and enticement of new players seems only appropriate.
Buford T Justice is offline   Reply With Quote