View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #21
tennis_pro
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kragster View Post
At the moment he is tied with fed and Andre and you can take your pick based on what additional criteria you value - more finals vs 3 consecutive slams etc etc . However I expect him to win 1 more at least and then he will be the clear leader. For now he is a cogoat.
Pretty much this. I'd say that Agassi has the worst case of the 3 as 2 of his Australians had pretty easy draws (but he beat Sampras at his best in the other 2), he has no additional finals and no consecutive streaks. He still won 3/3 editions he entered in 2000-2003.

Djokovic has 4 titles, 3 of which in a row. His next best results are quarterfinals which isn't that great. He also has the best wins - beat Murray 3 times at the AO, Federer twice (both in straight sets) and Nadal in that epic final, so technically he is 6-1 against the other members of the top 4 with his only loss coming in 2007 to peak Federer. I expect Djokovic to win at least 1 more Australian so he's gonna be the AO GOAT anyway with the most titles.

Federer also has 4 titles but most finals with 5 (tied with Edberg) and a streak of 10 years where he reached at least the SF which is insane. He's also the only player ever to win an AO without losing a set.