View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #24
TheLambsheadrep
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
but you do your take back and you rotate but you can see while you are rotating your arm catches up and passes your rotation. they never move together. you can really see it on the side view at the end. your arm goes right past your body. you're loosing a lot of oomph right there.

just to get the feel you might want to try making your take back much shorter. just for experimenting make it very short like fed's. it will feel uncomfortable but try it for like 20 strokes. once you figure out how to make contact like that you will see you will have much more power. Then you can adjust things to your liking.

If your take back is shorter then when you rotate your arm will have 'room to breath' and will be pulled by the rotation and there it will stretch and give you the ssc action.
I do want to talk about top spin like I said before, but I have been thinking about this today - for the initial part of the short take back, would you say that you are trying to perform an external rotation of the shoulder with or without incorporating elbow movement? In the pro videos I linked in the thread plus others available, during their take backs I can't tell 100% if even the same player will always try to make the racquet follow a pendulum motion (approximately, and from external rotation of the shoulder) up with the elbow acting like the fixed point/pivot point (being stationary as much as possible, any motion backward is from body rotation), or if the elbow is being pulled back (elbow in the gut motion, going however much or little they want the elbow back) as external rotation of the shoulder still takes place. In short - as the racquet goes up and back during the initial part of the take back via the shoulder, should the elbow also help bring the racquet back and then down?

Also, even though this is not quoted, I'm gonna mention neutral stance. I see Fed has it a lot in casual hitting, and I think I do it more when being casual too, but I have a feeling he opens up a lot more than I do in real play. It's just a habit of mine, but I think it also plays a part in limiting ssc - with a more open stance, you can load up the back/outside foot and twist the body, letting the uncoiling of the body whip the forehand around to contact. In my video, I'm seeing that I am facing sideways which is good, but have little to no coiling. I am going to work on coiling sideways instead of just facing sideways, I think that should help, right?

Last edited by TheLambsheadrep : 01-28-2013 at 11:17 PM.
TheLambsheadrep is offline   Reply With Quote