View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Professor Tennis
New User

Some of my tennis instructor friends have told me that it would be simpler to teach kids, for example, how to play with two forehands than the traditional forehand/backhand combo. Let me elaborate on what I've found (as Professor Tennis - Physics of Tennis) along these lines:

(1) Some children find after playing two forehands, that their "opposite" hand is their true power hand. Yes, some kids are influenced by their parents to play a particular hand, when in fact, their opposite hand is dominant.

(2) Playing a second forehand assists the player in developing a more powerful and accurate two-hand backhand. Quite simply, the two-hand backhand is really a choked-up forehand.

(3) Learning to play a second forehand develops coordination and power for both sides of the body, which comes in handy for the traditional one-racket game.

(4) Playing a second forehand can lead to the development of an ambidextrous serve. What right-handed player wouldn't want to serve left-handed in order to bolster their game.

(5) Playing a second forehand may be just what the doctor ordered in the case of a player sustaining an injury, perhaps even a career threatening injury. Knowing how to play with that second hand may make for a new chance at the brass ring of tennis.