View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #162
The_Order
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmk View Post
roddick @ wimbledon 04, USO 2007, wimbledon 2009 played quite a bit better than berdych did at wim 10 or USO 2012 or djoker did @ USO 2010, even better than delpo did in USO 2009 final ... but just that fed was clearly better on the former occasions than the latter

somewhat similar cases with hewitt in wim 05, nalbandian in AO 2004, davydenko in AO 2006, agassi in USO 2004 etc ...
You are using a few occasions where Roddick played well against Fed, but you are forgetting a rather important detail. Roddick was Federer's Pidgeon. This means that even when Roddick had his chances against Fed, the mental scarring would still cause him to lose. See the YEC match where IIRC Roddick had MPs and still lost. See the second set TB in WIM09 where Roddick missed a relatively simple BH volley. If he didn't have that mental scarring he probably would've won those matches. Same with 04 WIM when the rain delay threw his momentum off. I wouldn't call it Fed being much better rather than Fed getting lucky his opponent cracked. Berdych otoh was mentally strong enough to get on with the job.

Not to mention that Hewitt, Davydenko and old Agassi have nowhere near as much power as Delpo or Berdych and are nowhere near as good as Novak defensively. Fed lost to them because they have more weapons.

Quote:
of course the fact that they knew 2 were on HC should have mattered .....but then that's probably too tough for you to get ..
Oh yeah? Tell me how? Were they going to train more on clay? And this would matter how? Fed GREW UP ON OUTDOOR CLAY and still couldn't take even 2 sets against teenage Rafa at RG so what, are the other players going to do better than Fed are they? Oh and FYI I believe Novak also grew up playing on clay...

Quote:
I was talking about nadal-nalbandian being a tossup , clueless, learn to read ...
"Not most likely to win it all, it would be a tossup"

Yep, the back pedalling continues.

Quote:
yeah, but hewitt while getting bagelled and breasticked, still had BP at 4 all in the 4th set and was closer to taking the match to a decider than rafa was ....
How in any Universe is winning one set in a TB and then "having" BP at 4 all closer to taking it to 5 than:

Winning one set in a TB and being up 5-4 in another set serving for it?

It is inconceivable that merely having BP at 4-4 is closer than actually GETTING the break and serving for the set.

More foolish **** logic at it's finest.

Quote:
roddick in wim 03, scud in wim 03, ancic in wim 06, hewitt in wim 05 were on a similar level to rafa in wim 06, but fed played better in those matches and he matched up better vs them than vs rafa ....
I said since winning it l2r. BTW Roddick and Scud in 03 wasn't as tough a match as Rafa 06 anyway, they didn't get close to winning 2 sets.

Quote:
while rafa is mentally tougher overall , he hasn't come back many times from being down 2 sets to love ... federer has done that many more times than him, in fact ...

Edit : I just checked, rafa has done it 3 times, while federer has done it 8 times ...

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=335267
Few things:

- Fed's played longer
- Wessels retired in 2000 USO leading 4-3 in the fifth
- Del Potro got injured in last year's RG semi
- Most of them are early stages of majors

I guess Rafa would show more fight if he let some journeymen go up 2 sets to love against him at RG or other majors.

Quote:
I was talking about the tournament as a whole ; especially hewitt's form before the finals in the USO ... was better than his form before their AO or wimbledon encounters ...
Oh so now the tournament as a whole matters. Didn't you say that final form differs from previous matches re WIM 07 and 08 finals? Iguess only when it suits you yeah

Quote:
only one set was competitive in wimbledon 2004 ? really ? hewitt won the breaker in set 2, he had BP at 4 all in the 4th set ...

in AO 2004, it was 4-6,6-4,6-0,6-3, only the 3rd set was not competitive ...

then again, you are totally clueless
In that case the fourth set at WIM06 was also competitive. So now that's 3 competitive sets to Hewitt's 2 from 04 WIM. Either way, Rafa gave Fed his toughest WIM match since Fed won it apart from Roddick 04.

Quote:
the disordered one can't even make out the difference b/w one serve and average serve speed over a match, , LOL ....
The difference is not that great, how come you can't understand that? It's not like Rafa was smashing in 200k first serves and then threw in a few 130k first serves to reduce the average to 179k.

For Rafa to have a 7k higher average, he would been landing something like most first serves around the 185k mark and split the rest between 190k region and 170k region.

AO 12 was probably around 180k mark for majority with a split between 190k and 165k first serve speed.

So there is no thunderous serving difference there fool, the reaction times as I said would have been NEGLIGENT.

Quote:
and you can read minds ? bwahaha ... there were no reports of any injury before the match, he went on to play singles and doubles @ miami ; hell even went on to play doubles in IW after he lost to fed ... yeah, surely that 'phantom' injury weighed on his mind

face it, healthy nadal just got outplayed and thumped by fed ..
No I can't read minds, but I'm not doing that, I listen to what Nadal said and he said he started feeling it in IW.

Quote:
just plain ignorance from *******, who has near zero clue of tennis before nadal .... hewitt and nalby did take advantage of fed's BH, whenever it was slightly off
They couldn't expose it like Rafa. Hence the 0 slam victories against him.

Quote:
agassi had 4 matches out of 8 where he was competitive with fed, so how exactly did he stay competitive with him if not for BH to BH, movement was considerably worse, serve was worse, FH slightly worse ...just with a better return ? really ?

of course none of them had close to the success that rafa did @ it, but even before that, whenever it was slightly off, players did know to pound his BH
Agassi said himself that he didn't feel safe going to any wing against Federer. Deal with it.

Agassi also says that at 33 he felt he was a better player than at 25 (both times he was ranked #1). He also says that Roger NOW would beat Roger at 25. He also says the competition got tougher, admitting that today's field is tougher than the field he was part of. Hewitt has also said this. As has Coureir and many other tennis greats.