View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
bluetrain4
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalAgassi View Post
Yes she will undoubtably be in the Hall of Fame. No question about it.

As for Na she might make it even right now given what a joke the Hall of Fame is. Mostly due to what a trailblazing series of feats she did for China. She needs to win another slam to be totally secure, but I would guess her making it even if she doesnt. Since Yannick Noah made it in with the help of intangible reasoning, rather than strictly his actual tennis and career which his one shock major aside wasnt all that great, I fully expect she will; especialy as she has much more intangible reasoning in her favor than he does, and probably a more impressive career considering the 3 slam finals as well.

On another note I expect Stosur will even be inducted due to her body of work (singles and doubles), and Martinez will at some point too. That said Wozniacki, Dementieva, Safina, and Jankovic will never be inducted.
What were Noah's intangibles? He wasn't the first black man to win a Slam. Ashe had already won the AO, Wimbledon, and the USO. I guess he was the first black man to win the French -- but that doesn't seem like much given, again, that he wasn't the first black man to win a Slam overall, and the rest of his Slam resume is fairly thin (8 QFs and 1 SF).

I'm guessing first black french open winner maybe was a minor factor, but not a major one. That combined with the fact that he was a "character" and the fact that he captained both Davis Cup and Fed Cup teams to victory - has anyone else done this? (The more I think about it, the more I think this mattered a lot). 23 overall titles, as well, which isn't otherworldly, but pretty good.
bluetrain4 is offline   Reply With Quote