View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
bluetrain4
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Malloy View Post
In 1991 he captained the French to their first Davis Cup win since the 30s. That was huge(the HOF values Davis Cup very highly. look at some of the lesser known names that got in over the years, often Davis Cup was the main reason)

And I mentioned this to you in another thread - the HOF ceremony is a big deal in terms of maintaining the HOF. They prefer to induct people that will show up & make fans buy tickets & travel there.

Its not like the Baseball HOF, where its not a big deal if they go years without inducting anyone, they need these ceremonies to survive.

Right now, I don't see Azarenka or Ni La causing fans to flock to Newport to see them getting inducted.
But, Azarenka will no doubt get in regardless, I'm assuming, based on her accomplishments (I'm assuming she'll add a couple of more Slams). Sure, they want the big names and big personalities that will attract people, but there are also the players who basically have to be inducted based on tennis accomplishments even if they aren't a big draw.
bluetrain4 is offline   Reply With Quote