View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Moose Malloy
Legend

Quote:
But, honestly, if she didn't say anything, how could anyone know whether to stop the match. And, what do you do if a player says she blacked out but says she wants to play on? Could/should they really have a hardline blackout/default rule?
Doctors stop fights all the time, often with the fighter protesting. Don't see how this is different. Or get her to sign a waiver if she wants to play(I'm half joking, but if something serious did end up happening later, Li Na's husband would probably end up owning the Australian Open)

I had no idea she blacked out until the next day, but saw the fall(as did the doctor I assume) & thought it was a bad idea for the match to continue just on that basis.
Not just because of concussion, there's a lot of scary **** that can happen if you receive any sort of blunt force trauma to the head. And people often get up feeling fine...at first. I felt really uncomfortable watching the rest of that match.

Its weird but I don't think tennis players are protected the same way athletes are in team sports & boxing(where a number of people can just yank you from the game due to safety issues)
They have to decide whether to default, etc(remember Azarenka's concussion at the USO? they waited until she literally collapsed to the ground before calling the match, when they were clearly signs she was impaired before it even started! she fell & hit her head, saw a doctor & still went on court! and stumbled around in a daze for several games. I posted about that at the time as well, wondering what kinds of doctors they employed)

maybe this is another reason on court coaching should be allowed.

Last edited by Moose Malloy : 01-27-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Moose Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote