View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #22
Mainad
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by veroniquem View Post
Of course you have a right to delude yourself. Given that Murray has never beaten Djoko at AO, you do not have a point to convince anyone else though, sorry. Murray had a cakewalk draw until Fed and even Fed didn't play that well. Murray had a day off between each match. He had incredibly weak opposition, didn't even have to play Delpo in the quarters.
Yes, but given that Delpo had fallen to Chardy who then promptly got straight-setted by Murray, what kind of opposition do you suppose Delpo would have offered Murray? Obviously very little on the evidence notwithstanding the fact that Murray has, in any case, always been a bad match-up for Delpo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veroniquem View Post
If Murray cannot handle a draw like the one he had then it's really bad news for him, because he's most likely to never get much better. If you want to play that game, I'd go so far as to claim that if Murray had had Djoko's draw instead, he wouldn't even have made the final because he would have lost to Wawrinka playing the match of his life (exactly like it happened at USO before). Djoko is better than Murray, especially at AO. No excuse needed.
Again, you conveniently forget how adept Murray is at handling tricky opponents in his draws. Take 2012 USO. Murray had to struggle against Cilic who almost did to him what Wawrinka almost did to Djokovic at the AO. But he got past him just as Djokovic did Wawrinka. Both are adept at facing tough opponents and finding a way past them. I have no doubts at all that Murray would have found a way past an in-form Wawrinka just as he has in the past eg. at 2009 Wimbledon.