View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #35
Jay_The_Nomad
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
To be honest, while I like Li Na and was rooting for her, I couldn't shake the feeling that if she was really that hurt, she should have stopped playing. If its not career-threatning injury, she should not be able to get treatment and just move on. Those MTOs have become a joke. Players are now using them as a bonus rather than a real treatment to a problem. It:

a) Gives them a nice treatment
b) Stops the opponent's momentum and annoys them
c) allows them to get a breather

Nadal started the fiasco, and now its out of control.
The medical time outs are there to assess if the player is fit enough to continue playing and whether if they continue the match they put themselves at risk of causing serious damage.

If the injury is minor enough, they get taped up to minimize movement (as a precaution) and off they go so the spectators have a match to watch. Minor injuries does not mean you can't compete. It just means your injured body part is now weakened and even more susceptible to damage. So you need taping to protect it.

That is the intended purpose of MTOs. But just because MTOs are being exploited does not mean it should be scrapped.

I just think there should be more stringent supervision of MTOs. For example, you should not be able to have an MTO for cramps. If you got a cramp you shouldn't be able to ask the trainer to come out and massage you.

Last edited by Jay_The_Nomad : 01-28-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Jay_The_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote