View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #10
DeShaun
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelie Mauresmo View Post
I agree with the OP with the terrible slamless number one players like Caroline Wozniacki women's tennis finally has a young player who is a multiple slam champion. Maybe Victoria's success is going to inspire the other women. Women's tennis needs more mentally tough players like Azarenka who can come through a slam and win titles. I wasn't sure about Azarenka before the Australian Open if she's the real deal but she proved it by defending her title.
After Kvitova won Wimby she was widely proclaimed to be the next big thing. Her ball striking was sweet but she never had enough fire in her eyes to take over and retain number 1. Enter Vika...while playing Serena in the USO in 2011 I believe, Vika caught my eye. She was the only girl since Henin to actually stand up to Serena on that feral level on which Serena likes to intimidate opponents. Justine in her own way used to stare back at Serena on this same animalistic level, but there were no other women with balls enough to even try UNTIL Vika showed up. I did not know then (2011) whether Vika had the game to overtake Woz but I knew she had the fire to stand up to Serena.

Last edited by DeShaun : 01-28-2013 at 05:56 AM.
DeShaun is offline   Reply With Quote