View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #32
Chemist
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeeds View Post
Work hard and take whatever opportunities that you can get. Don't focus on a tennis scholarship as there are very little out there. Just enjoy the sport and make lots of friends. At the end of the day, it's all about academics that will take you further in life but you will have a wonderful sport that you can enjoy for the rest of your life with the friends you meet along your journey.

If you can't make it onto a D1, D2 or D3 team, there is always a Club Team and you will have much more fun as it is much less demanding in terms of conditioning, practice and travel. This way you can focus more on academics while in college.
This is exactly what many kids who are practicing and improving tennis game should be thinking...

My older son, a college sophomore, did not start tennis training until he was almost 13. He won a couple of district tournaments (B14 and B16), similar to L4 in Georgia. He played 3rd single for his high school team in his sophomore year, but chose to play 1st double in his junior and senior year. He did not make the college club team. However he still loves tennis, even watched a few AO matches in early morning. I enjoy hitting with him more than his younger brother, who would blow me away....