View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #30
WildVolley
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkstadium View Post
This thread will never be influential enough to impact sales anyway. It could impact TW sales. I assumed this was why they didn't want to measure heel drop. That and the minor time-consuming element.

I will continue taking measurements.
Thanks for the link to TW's response.

I think the evidence is more that this won't influence sales much at all and would be a hassle for TW, so why do it? If the discussions on this forum are any indication, most people are happy with major brand tennis shoes and seem to be primarily concerned about aesthetics. Collectors who don't actually wear the shoes to play tennis seem to make a sizable fraction of purchasers, at least if we are talking Nike and Adidas.

My understanding is that the minimalist crowd in running has caused serious runners to start to notice heel stack height and drop measurements. The average person who wears running shoes probably doesn't even run, but the serious runners seem to be concerned about performance.

The whole minimalist shoe movement is causing people to reassess the belief that Nike has pushed since the 1970s that more padding and cushioning is better. At the extreme end are sprint spikes which are purposefully made to just go fast in a straight line. They tend to have almost no padding and the toe is sometimes higher than the heel because of the spike plate. Raising the heel is actually less athletic than a flat shoe, but provides an advantage in tennis in terms of cushioning if you hard plant the heel into a shot.
WildVolley is offline   Reply With Quote