View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #37
BevelDevil
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Great thread, very informative, I'll try out some of your suggestions next time I'm on court! How about transitioning between a one handed topspin and slice backhand, would you guys advocate a grip change? In the past, several coaches have taught me to hit my slice backhand with a continental grip (initially when I was mostly a s&v player on grass). However, I have found that I naturally tend to over-extend my wrist when I hit a slice, creating a 'V' between my hand an my wrist. If I do that using a continental grip I tend to cut under the ball with a very open face instead of driving through it, resulting in a very spinny shot with very little pace, almost a drop shot.

Recently, I've been experimenting with using my normal eastern backhand grip (still need to figure out exactly where my heel pad is on it...), and when I then extend my wrist, I open the racket face just enough to get a nice deep, biting slice (ideally, of course). It also makes transitioning between an intended topspin backhand to a last ditch slice a little bit easier. What would you guys recommend, keep going with the eastern backheand grip on my slice backhand, or stay with the continental and learn not to extend my wrist (easier said than done...)?

You should keep your wrist stable on the slice. Your arm should be straight at contact and sweep across your body on the follow through. Look at Federer and Steffi Graf, GOAT level slices there.

You should slice with continental so that you won't need to do something awkward with your wrist. It should be close the the same grip as your bh volley.

As for changing your mind at the last second, that's just a matter of learning to read the ball better, move better, and/or increasing your "strike zone" on your 1hbh drive.
BevelDevil is offline   Reply With Quote