View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #38
BevelDevil
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystar403 View Post
I keep a continental grip on the topspin and slice more because I'm too lazy to change.

I'm 5'11" and my brother is 6'3" and always hits high to my back hand. He occasionally throws a fast one in there so it's easier for me to keep a continental grip.

By the way, I'm only 18 years old and LOVE to serve/volley and chip/charge. I find that the modern game and anything referring to it (grips, rackets, string, etc.) requires a bit of work.

The modern game requires a decent amount of athleticism when setting up for shots and hitting out in front. A conservative grip requires less of the two, but if you have it anyways WO HO HO. Magic.

I've tried the extreme grip only once. I had to bend my knees a lot to hit a decent ball. I actually slammed my left knee on the ground and decided never to do it again. Whatever net clearance you get out of it isn't worth it.
Keep in mind that Dimitrov uses a continental on both his slice and topspin, BUT on the topspin shot he moves the heelpad of his palm further behind the handle. Both are still considered "Continental", but one is for slice/volleys, the other is for drives/topspin.
BevelDevil is offline   Reply With Quote