View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
charliefedererer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluDiamond View Post
Does anyone know how pro players generally workout in order to even out the non-dominant side?

I've noticed from playing tennis from a young age (and probably not doing as much work off-court as I should be) that my left lat is noticeable smaller and my shoulders don't seem to be the same height either.

Even when I'm doing pullups/pressups it still feels as if my right side is dominant, does anyone have any recommendations/advice apart from doing twice as many reps on my left side compared to the right?
Great question.

This issue is specifically addressed on Sports Fitness Advisor, Tennis Training Section:
"Phase 1 - Foundational Tennis Strength Training
The objective of this 6 week phase is to build a solid base on which you build more intense, more tennis-specific fitness later.

Like all competitive sports, tennis places uneven demands on the body. You swing with one arm and one side of the body. Certain muscle groups are overworked while others are neglected.

Infamous over-use injuries like tennis elbow and damage to the rotator cuff muscles are less likely to occur in a balanced physique.

So our goal during this first phase is to prepare the ligaments, tendons and connective tissue for more strenuous activity to follow."
- http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...-training.html

Click on the above site to get the specifics of the recommended exercise, and number of sets and repetitions, and how to proceed on to other phases of strengthening for tennis.

You'll also notice the other area of emphasis during all phases of training is the following:

"Special Considerations in Tennis Strength Training

In sports like tennis and golf, overuse injuries of the wrist, elbow and rotator cuff muscles are all too common.

Most weight training exercises predominantly target the larger muscles groups. So while they get stronger and stronger, the smaller, more isolated muscles get neglected...

That doesn't normally cause a problem until you expose your body to thousands of repetitive movements that incorporate the larger AND the smaller muscle groups - like a forehand drive for example.

So while you hit harder and harder shots (as the strength in your large muscles groups increases), those finer muscles are placed under a disproportionate amount of stress.

The best way to compensate for this is to target and isolate those smaller muscle groups before they become over-worked.

By adding a few choice exercises for the forearm and rotator cuff muscles to your tennis strength training program, you can significantly reduce the occurrence of stress injuries in these areas.

You can start these exercises at any time or phase during the entire program. You can perform them at the end of a session or for 10-15 minutes on separate days.

Click here for some specific forearm, wrist and rotator cuff exercises http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...exercises.html "

But even though the above forearm, wrist and rotator cuff exercises are good, the most complete and BEST set of exercises for the entire arm is the Thrower's Ten Exercise Program: http://www.muhlenberg.edu/pdf/main/a...throwers10.pdf
charliefedererer is offline   Reply With Quote