View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
BMC9670
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga tennis View Post
My 7 year old son has been playing tennis since he could walk. I thought i did everything right with him and his tennis development. I made ALOT of mistakes with my daughter and learned from those mistakes. About a month ago basketball season started and i signed him up because he wants to play EVERY sport. I did not realize that he would go basketball crazy and ONLY wanna practice basketball everyday. Everyday i get home from work and ask him do you wanna go play tennis and he says no daddy i wanna go play basketball. He was really getting good at tennis and i was gonna put him some level4 and 5 12 and under tournaments this summer. I just dont know what to do?? I am not gonna force him to do anything it just kills me that basketball has taken over his love for tennis. He said he was gonna start back tennis after basketball season but thats a month away. Anybody experienced anything like this with their child???
Don't know what to do?!? Let him play b-ball. Why the need to specialize in one sport at 7?

Both my son and daughter play and at around 8 or 9, my son took off, both in interest and playing level, but my daughter never caught the bug. Just wasn't as into it. She wanted to swim, and now loves it and is excelling at it. Granted, we are not "all in for the pros", and certainly not from the age of 7, but IMHO, if they find a sport they love, encourage it. They will do a lot better than being forced to do something they don't like as much.

And as a bonus, basketball is good cardio for tennis. He can do both for some years to come.