View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Chas Tennis
Hall Of Fame

There are several calf and Achilles injury threads in this forum that have lots of information. You can read how some of these injuries developed sometimes into a chronic condition (long term or permanent injury due to the healed tissue being defective). Most players who have experienced calf injuries warn that it is one of the more difficult injuries to recover from. A young player on my USTA team injured his calf last year before the season started and was not able to play after many weeks of recovery. He missed the league. I'm not sure how he is doing now.

The possible causes are also discussed with links for information. There is an injury called 'Tennis Leg'. You sound as if something might be too tight, perhaps the calves? Posture issues? Lifestyle issue? When seated, calves are bent all week and get short and tight, playing tennis stretches them and they tear. ? (I assume that you are younger and probably not taking statins which can have muscle side-effects that I don't understand.)

One difficulty with the calves is that they provide a lot of force just walking, climbing stairs, etc. It is not as easy to take stress off of an injured calf muscle with an upper body injury, say, an arm injury.

Also, the Achilles tendons come up pretty high to meet the calf muscles so maybe the injury might be of the Achilles or both.

There are also many stories in the forums of players getting farther injured by playing in some important tennis event that they normally would not miss. They are conditioned to think in that way and may not have experienced any chronic injuries. People who has gotten a chronic injury can often see the other side of playing with pain.

What do you know about the risk? Have you, for example, ruptured 8% of the area of your soleus or gastrocnemius muscle? The injury is now a few days into healing. Does that weak 8% area stretch and re-tear - it has only 'healed' for a few days - if you play tennis? Or does it enlarge around its edges because it is weakened and tennis puts heavy stress on the injury site and especially the strong uninjured tissue around the injury? If there were a pain killer, more effective than the usual NSAIDs, that would completely eliminate pain, would that be a good idea?

Do you think it is a reasonable idea to have an undiagnosed injury and then play tennis where you are going to heavily stress the same torn/injured tissues while it is healing?

Best approach is to stop playing and otherwise stressing your calves and see a well qualified Dr. Don't exercise or stretch injured tissue.

Last edited by Chas Tennis : 02-02-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Chas Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote