View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #23
BevelDevil
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimcorner View Post
I'm flipping back and forth between the two since I haven't decided which one I like better.
Perhaps use the 2hbh for ROS, 1hbh for everything else. Some famous doubles guy did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10isfreak View Post
Interesting. Ideally, we modify our body position (we use different footwork patterns, jump or bend our knees) so that we're still using, overall the same form for every ball. Obviously, it can happen at times that you can't do it, which calls for unusual positions...

What then comes to my mind is who, between a two handed player and a one handed player, pays the greater price for cheating on his form? That is, who makes the least out of the exceptional situation you introduce here?
Depends on the situation. The big, lateral step is particularly well suited for the 1hbh because of the arm mobility. It's a specific situation, but one that comes up a lot since baseline rallies are all about moving side to side. The only way a lunge is cheating on form is that the player is a bit off balance. Otherwise, it's basically a normal stroke.

It's important to note that when the player is reaching during a rally, often times he knows exactly where the ball is and what it's doing; he just needs to get there. So he has time to make some preparation.

On the other hand, 2-handers are able to cheat all the time when it comes to adjusting to surprises (including serves). This is particularly true when players are new to the game and they can't read the ball.
BevelDevil is offline   Reply With Quote