View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #57
OrangePower
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatt_town View Post
That's BS. They have USTA sanctioned mixed matches. The weaker player be it man or woman should always get it. You have a bunch of women now that can't play but they will get on the courts with men at 8.0 and 9.0 mixed just to say they played at that level. Many times what you get is two men trying to show out and play each other while the women stand there with their raquets basically down to their waist looking like picture takers. Many of them barely break a sweat. Then when they get in a match with people that are trying to win, they start moaning about being picked on. Men do it in men's doubles. I don't know what makes women think they are exempt from this. I remember clearly being a target in a couple of tourneys I played in with men's doubles. I stepped up and got them off of me quick and won both tourneys playing with guys that were two levels above me. A doubles team is only as strong as it's weaker link. Anyone who knows anything about doubles knows that.
I think you hit the nail on the head with the bolded bit. The weaker player should be the target.

Prolem is that mixed allows for much wider skill ranges to be playing against each other. For example in men's combo yeah you can be a 4.5 and one of your opponents is a 4.0, so that is one level difference. But in mixed you can be a 4.5 male and one of your opponents is a 3.5 woman, roughly equivalent to a 3.0 male, so that is 3 levels difference.

This is why mixed is often not going to be good, high-quality tennis (although it can be fun socially).
OrangePower is offline   Reply With Quote