View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #12746
JGads
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PED View Post
I used to have an old skool Pure storm team back in 07. Great stick and lots of fun.

Last q: did MD hit with both the Blade and the Steam and what was the ball like from him. I remember you said he was deadly effective with the APD 2013.

Had a nice talk with the modfather out at TW today and he said ALOT of the guys who work there are steaming now, it's a big hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad dog1 View Post
MD did indeed set foot on the steamy court w/ both sticks. due to the balance and higher SW, the Blade was too sluggish for me. late on contact resulted in some balls sailing on me. when i hit it right, i thought it hit a heavy ball with driving spin - not looping spin. w/ my swing, i normally hit more driving spin w/ tighter patterns. also the spin wasn't the funky unpredictable type of sidespin + topspin that i can generate w/ the BC20 though - the spin action was just 2D. i liked the feel of the Blade, but just couldn't handle the SW over time.

with the Steam, a few shots kicked up surprising Gads, but for the most part, we were able to return the balls off the Steam string beds without making much adjustment. his shots off his pro stock sticks give me more trouble than the Steam shots and based on watching Gads returning my shots, i believe the Steam struck balls were easier for him than the BC20 struck balls.
Pretty much answered it there. MD and the BC20 are 'tuned' perfectly together on groundstrokes. He hits consistently better with that frame and probably the PS85. He also has leather and lead on his 20, so it's a 12-plus ounce stick and something he's far more used to than the 11.3-11.6 Steams we hit last night. The BC20 remains a shared GoatStick for both MD and I - we absolutely think the WORLD of it on groundstrokes, it's just the serve and the volley consistency that we constantly struggle with.

The Steam to me is very much a tweener version of the BC20. Spin monsters made for full poly. Do not know how the Steam would compare on serve and volleys just yet, or if the Steam would get increasingly more steamy or less steamy with added lead.

Going up against a giant hitter of the ball tonight so there's part of me that feels the need to add a touch more lead, now at 3 and 9, to the one already leaded stick to get it up to about 11.9 for this eve (only have about a 1.5 grams at 12 plus OG now), but there's also something to be said for the maneuverability of the stick - because I think the maneuverability plus the pattern opens up the best part of the stick, which is the ability to open up the court with angled dippers and such.
JGads is offline   Reply With Quote