View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
Misterbill
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbill View Post
For parents who look upon college scholarships as a return on investment, there is a better chance that it turns out positive for girls than boys.

Pretty easy for each family to do their own math.

For Ivies and D3 the return is zero for both boys and girls. (To the extent that tennis gets a kid into a school that has an academic level the kid wouldn't have otherwise qualified for, there is a whole other set of calculations I guess).

If in-state tuition/room/board is $10,000 per year, and a boy gets .5--.7, that's $20,000--$28,000. Make that the numerator, with the total junior tennis expenses as the denominator. Anything over 1 represents a positive return, anything less than 1 is a negative return.

If out-of-state tuition/private school tuition--rb is $40,000 per year............well anyone can do the math.
I don't think I was completely fair here. There is more value that should be put in the numerator.

That is the value of college-level coaching (ahem....anyone can fill in their own blank here), equipment, training room, travel expenses, medical insurance if any.

I'm not crunching the numbers real hard here, but most decent college programs have a couple of hours of privates per week---at least in fall season--and lots of "group lessons"; i.e., regular practice.

At 20 hours per week (just sayin') at $100 per hour (cause the math's easy) plus the other freebies, I think we are looking at over $75,000 per year of "stuff" parents would have otherwise paid for.

So, to be fair, I think we need to factor this in as well.