View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #45
Professor Tennis
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly View Post
Bonjour!

Arguing about this might not be worth your while but learning to develop your non-dominant arm is not a waste of time. You actually generate new neural connections and keep your brain active/fluid by learning to use your non-dominant side. Is cognitive development/brain plasticity really a waste of your valuable time?
On the subject of creating new neural pathways and what I like to call Neurobic Tennis (i.e., Two-racket Tennis):

In their book, Keep Your Brain Alive: 83 Neurobic Exercises, the late Dr. Lawrence C. Katz and coauthor Manning Rubin introduced the concept of “neurobic” exercise to the public. Dr. Katz (was a professor of neurobiology at Duke University Medical Center and renowned for his research into brain development) coined the term “neurobic” for mind/body exercises that in short, present the brain with the unexpected or “non-routine.” In essence, experiences securing various combinations of the five senses (i.e., sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste) along with emotion in unique and challenging ways. For example, to make your routine, non-routine, you might decide to brush your teeth with your left-hand when normally you are right-handed. Or as I suggest, you could pick up a second tennis racket and play two-racket tennis. Both scenarios present the brain with the unexpected, which in turn may stimulate the development of new circuits in the brain. Give your brain what it craves… a challenge! When you go Two-Rack you never go back.