View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #24
jgrushing
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvin View Post
Affordable low use = cheap drop weight. You get what you pay for, no matter what all the X2 and KM owners are going to cry out. Misery loves company. I am not saying they are not good machines that will last a very long time, but that they are very affordable and designed for low production which appears to be a perfect fit for your parameters.

If you buy a high end machine and string every couple of weeks it will take you decades to recoup your money.
Irvin,

I agree with your posts much more often than not and you're certainly more of an expert than I. Even with the post above, I think you're mostly right on. A $2K stringing machine in a basement used twice a month is, for the most part, an unnecessary luxury. It's probably a much better stringing experience.

However, the whole "you get what you pay for" statement implies that the string jobs on entry drop weights are, by their very nature, inferior to stringing on a more sophisticated machine. I would be glad to string two racquets, one on a Klippermate and the other on a Neos with a Wise system, and defy people to tell the difference. I'm not talking Roger Federer or Pete Sampras. I am talking about the people on this board; up to 5.0 or 5.5 players.

I've strung for many years and found that most players, even the good one, don't know what they use or want. And for the most part, they don't know the difference. I know that I can turn out job after job that's very consistent, in under 25 minutes on a KM. I enjoy stringing on the Neos more but it's still just a tennis racquet when it's done.

Because we enjoy it, we tend to over-mystify the whole stringing process as if it's some magical thing. The truth is, for non-stringers out there, it's quite easy with just a little practice. My 18 year old son was stringing very acceptably at 12 years old.

Get what you can afford within reason to the level of convenience you'd prefer. All of the durable machines string racquets just fine.
jgrushing is offline   Reply With Quote