View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #39
Chemist
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbill View Post
Recruits may contact coaches by any communications means they choose, anytime.

Coaches may send written materials, including responses to emails anytime after Sept 1 junior year. If you call a coach and you get the voicemail the coach may not call you back. [EDIT: prior to July 1 before senior year] If you call a coach and you get thru to him/her, bingo! The conversation may continue.

Recruits may try to schedule unofficial visits on-campus at any time. Coaches may respond to written requests for unofficial visits. During these visits there may be in-person communication with the coach.

There is a loophole the size of the intergalactic black hole in all of this. If the subject of a communication from the coach is a "camp", anything goes.

Coaches should be kept apprised of athletic and academic updates. Need to walk a fine line here........to show that there is interest, without being a nuisance.

Except for the elite players, if a coach sees that a recruit has listed more than five schools (the max number of official visits) on TRN as "high interest", or has listed most of the schools in that coaches' conference, the coach may think the recruit is trolling and hasn't really thought things thru yet. This becomes more of an issue the older the recruit gets. Probably not an issue for a soph, but by mid-junior year................

I know there are a lot of different opinions about this, but I recommend that by the end of junior year, non-elite recruits list no schools on TRN, or maybe no more than a couple of diverse choices. I think the risk that the coach will be turned off by being dragged into a recruiting war exceeds the reward that the coach is happy that a recruit has listed his school on TRN.

The real way to express interest in a school is to let the coach know personally and privately. Listing a school on TRN is just for show...........my opinion, your mileage may vary
Quote:
Originally Posted by klu375 View Post
Coaches are absolutely allowed to communicate via emails with your HS junior. Those who do not reply are either not interested, have no positions available or disorganized. As most of participants read emails on their phones these communications can be quite lively.
Coaches are allowed to offer private lessons to the potential recruits - it just has to be setup properly - form some kind of official clinic/club/camp open for all (see adfor's post above). If recruit is a member of such club the communication restrictions can be further relaxed (calls/texting is allowed I believe).
Mr. Bill and Klu, Thank you so much for your advice. Looks like it is a good idea to remove "school interest" from the TRN NOW. We will go to watch a few dual matches near home in the spring. I am not sure if it's a good idea to talk to the coaches when they are visiting other schools?