View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #23
Chemist
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcbtennis View Post
It really depends on the child. My son waits for the draw to come out and if he is unfamiliar with his opponent he looks at his opponent's record to see if he can find a pattern to the wins and losses his opponent has had against other kids that he knows. He makes a plan A and plan B. My daughter no longer looks at the draw after she had a near panic attack after seeing that she was seeded number 1 in a local tournament. Her play in that match reflected her anxiety. It was awful. So now she just shows up and plays whomever is in front of her. She doesn't have a plan except hit the ball hard. When she faces a junk baller she is at her mercy because she has no plan B. I like my son's approach better because it means that he has to think on the court. He will make adjustments based on what's happening on the court. Because he did his homework before the match started he never feels helpless.
Your son must be much more matured than most kids of his age. The kid who makes his own game plan, is usually more capable of adjusting his game accordingly during the match. An earlier thread had a good discussion about the need of using a variety of shots, slices, drop shot, net games, even occasionally a moon ball - ask your daughter to watch a few video clips of Justine Henin.