View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #28
Chemist
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplracer View Post
My 10 year old is just over 5'2" 93lbs, left handed and hits a good amount of topspin. He has a good heavy ball. Hitting 6-8 feet over the net with a bunch of topspin works well at this age. Since his ball has good spin it gets over the shoulders of smaller players or forces them to hit a lot of balls on the rise.

After he splits sets? I try to let him do most of the talking. I have him tell me what is working so that can be reinforced. I then him to make himself work really hard to move his feet and get in position to make a good pass at the ball. I figure at this point he is probably tired and he needs encouragement to keep working hard. Since he is so big this is the greatest challenge.
Yes, most kids hate moon balls, especially if they are deep and toward opponent's back hand. When my son played a kid at the 12 zonal, one boy hit a deep moon ball that jumped over my son's head. But he soon learned how to hit on the rise or move in to swing volley them. I'm sure your son can also hit flatter passing shot to guard against opponents who charging the net.