View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #31
mad dog1
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvin View Post
If you take a sliding drop weight the weight is placed on a bar at various marks. The difference between 60 lbs and 59 or 60 lbs is probably 1 mm. Are you trying to tell me you can hit that 60 lb mark time after time with < +/- 0.1 mm accuracy every time? If you are I don't believe it. And you are right an electronic will pull individual strings at probably +/- 0.2 lbs but over the entire string bed I would think it is more consistent than always being off +/- 0.2 lbs like an automatic drop weight. Then you have the crank machine when calibrated properly and set to 60 lbs it will lock out at 60 lbs with < 0.1 lb accuracy over and over and over again. Ad oh yet as soon as it locks out the string starts stretching so you will have exactly 5% or 10% tension loss. I guess it all depends on what expert you listen to. There is not law that says I can't pull tension more than once. No matter what kind of tensioner you use once the tension is disconnected you start to loose tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technatic View Post
Dropweights have a bar of 40 to 50 cm for a scale from 10 to to 35 kg, meaning 16 to 20 mm per kg.
The dropweight I used and still have has a distance of 23 mm between kg's, so 2,3 mm for every 0,1 kg.
so I think that you can adjust this very accurately, because the scale is much wider than on a crank.
technatic is right on and irvin is misguided once again. if you've had firsthand experience stringing on a stringway autodropweight, you'd know.
mad dog1 is online now   Reply With Quote