View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #2620
hoodjem
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyOne View Post
hoodjem, Thanks for your post. I think you are an intelligent man who offered great lists about tennis. So I only would be glad if you would be impressed by my four favourite composers, Schubert, Beethoven, Bach and Mozart.

Don Giovanni is one of only five or six operas which I am able to listen to. Most operas are too long for me and too superficial. The others are Fidelio, Die Zauberflöte, Carmen and Samson and Delilah.

I like that you accept Saint-Saens who is often blamed for eclecticism In fact S.-S. has proved that it's possible to write beautiful music also in 20th century (as also the Beatles have proved by the way).
Surprisingly, we seem to share many of the same tastes. I would rank my composers:
1. Beethoven
2. Bach
3. Schubert
4. Des Prez
5. Machaut

I am a big fan of Sibelius, Bruckner, and Vaughan Williams also. I do appreciate some Mozart, but mostly only the late stuff--from K. 475 on. The earlier music seems immaculately composed but not very deep to me. Die Zauberflöte and Fidelio, and maybe Othello are about the only operas I can stand. Unfortunately, almost every time I go somewhere I can get tickets to a quality opera production, it is of La Boheme. So I have seen that maybe 20 times--unfortunately.

This summer I shall see Rossini's The Barber of Seville in Vienna. We shall see . . .

Last edited by hoodjem : 02-02-2013 at 11:37 AM.
hoodjem is offline   Reply With Quote