View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #39
SwankPeRFection
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
Silly girl.

Which is it? Am I so lame that my 4.0 game is indistinguishable from a 3.0 game, or am I a jerk for wiping the court with my 3.0 opponent with my superior 4.0 game?

Gotta think before you type . . . .
Well, you need to remember this. 3.5M = 4.0W or better. Also, sometimes the computer rating the system gives doesn't reflect well on someone's ability to play. It reflects on their ability to WIN.

When I played mixed, I had several 4.0C women blame me for the losses. Funny thing is, when we'd play a singles match against each other, I'd win 6-1, 6-2, 6-0 (depending on how much messing around I'd do with some shots or if I'd let them hold a service game.) Canadian against two 4.0C women would be 6-4, 6-3, or 7-5 (depending on which girls were paired together). At the time I was ranked a 3.5 by the computer, so ya... it's not all apples to apples.

Play your game and see what happens. Unless you're playing a social match and you see that after 4 games (giving everyone a chance to serve) the score is a one way shutout, there should be no reason why you cannot just play and not back off. In social settings I usually don't worry too much about winning/losing. If we're playing doubles or singles and I'm better than the opponent, instead of winning 6-3 or better, I try and work on something else which would cause the score to be closer to a 7-5 or 7-6 scenario. When I say work on something else, I either work on harder shots I'm trying to get better at hitting (like service return winners, drop shots, inside out single handed backhand, etc. If I miss, I miss.) Sometimes I even let the score fall to 0-4 or 0-5 to get my mind in that (you're losing mindset) and then dig the set out as practice for my focus. If we're playing doubles and winning convincingly, there has been times where we'll win the first set, lose the second because we're messing around, and win the third in a close score just to make it interesting and extend the match.

Bottom line, I think in a social settings, it should be up to the better player to try and extend the match as much as possible so as to give everyone a chance to really play. No one likes to lose, but extending some points out at the right times makes for a really interesting time on court and everyone enjoys themselves.
SwankPeRFection is offline   Reply With Quote