View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #49
10isfreak
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshs View Post
No hostility, but it should be based on reality. There are many WTA and ATP players with different kinds of swings. Soderling and DP have big swings.

I have seen many club "Federers" over the years and none of them can hit like Federer. The ones who can are beyond the 4.5 level and have played as juniors. Most would be better off with a "push" forehand than any fancy pull and embedded inside-out action. You are underestimating the wrist strength needed to pull off the FHs of Nadal and Federer. It is fine to say that the wrist is not involved, but in reality it is.
Actually, the researcher I often quote from this blog that I cant name, but which involves tennis and speed, showed Nadal and Federer as the example which best fits tennis in general - and he even says that it is even truer for amateurs.

As for your comment, you first use the wrong word: its not strength, its power which is involved... secondly, its not so much about having super human qualities than exploiting a muscular reflex. For half a second following the eccentric contraction of a muscle that is caused by an opposite force (such as contracting the antagonist muscle), you can benefit of a stretch-shortning cycle which gives you, because of a reflex, super human abilities... you can contract your forearm pronators a lot quicker than usual.

All it takes is having the hand in the right position. Besides that, it also has the benefit of not requiring excessive practice to properly close the racket face at contact... basically, if you present the right set up as you begin to accelerate your racket, this movement is bound to happen and it fortunately is very easy to replicate.

Its easier, science says, to hit like Feder, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray than to hit like Gonzalez or most of the WTA tour. As for your visual cues (pulling and pushing) are so vague that they divide anatomically similar forehands (like Djoko and Federer).

The key difference, the only thing worth looking at to get the exact effect I refer to is what happens when the racket first moves forward. Essentially, you either supinate or pronate right as the racket starts moving... the best players pronate right from the start. The racket does open up and they do supinate while swinging forward before pronating, but from the start, good players pronate. All members of the top four do it properly... and many GS winners did not. Hewitt, for one, does not do that.
10isfreak is offline   Reply With Quote