View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
omega4
Rookie

No offense taken. I agree with you on the point that I think I can get back to a 4.0 form in a few months to half a year of playing. But at the moment, I really think I'm a 2.5 - 3.0. I just don't want to claim a higher NTRP rating that I don't think I can justify and back up with my play at the moment.

With that said, I'm perfectly OK with my rating being increased from a 2.5 or 3.0 to whatever others think it should be. I'm assuming it's easier to increase a low-ball rating than it is to decrease a overestimated rating, but I'm just guessing here.

I also agree with you that one doesn't forget the mechanics of playing tennis. But that's not at issue here. It's a case of where the "mind" is willing, the "body" is weak. Namely, I know what the proper mechanics are. It's executing them on a consistent basis that will take some time, hence my giving myself a lower rating until my game is up to par.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
No offense, but if you played ANY high school tennis for even a year and didn't suck, which you didn't based on the rating you were at before, there's no reason why your mind and body cannot be in enough sync to remember how to hit a ball. There is absolutely no way (even after 20 years) that anyone can go back and not know how to hit a ball due to bad mechanics or something like that. Sure, you might not be as quick on the court or be able to put together points enough initially, but in a few months, you could easily get back in the rhythm. I didn't play tennis for 15 years and went back and my mechanics were still fine. Had to do a little bit of work to get back to being able to judge ball feel and pace/spin properly, but it all came back in a couple of months. Point construction, strategy, physical shape took a bit longer, but certainly not enough to warrant me thinking I needed to be rated a 2.5.

Come on man, who are you kidding here? That's the problem... competitive players from years ago think they can't play anymore due to age or something along those lines, but it's the mechanics of tennis that doesn't go away. I'm sorry, but in 20 years you don't just forget how to hit a ball properly. Timing might be off, but YOU DO NOT FORGET THE MECHANICS. No pro player in history has ever retired from a sport, gone back years later and knew nothing about that sport. It doesn't happen and that's why the USTA staff doesn't buy your crap reasons for appeals.
omega4 is offline   Reply With Quote